Tony de Belder
BSc PhD MRCS
Director, Scientific Consultant
Tony received his B.Sc. from University College London and thereafter continued on a PhD programme involving carbohydrate derivatives of ferrocene. After a series of post-docs. (Royal Holloway College, Univ. of London and Träforsknings Institute in Stockholm), he then began a long career in R & D at Pharmacia, Uppsala in a department devoted to applications of polysaccharides and their derivatives as pharmaceuticals. The research was mostly directed on dextran and dextran derivatives. This work naturally involved not only chemistry but also intimate contact with quality assurance and quality control, pharmacological and formulation issues including stability and bioassays.
In 1990, Tony started a consultancy company and began to market a limited range of products for research, in particular a special dextran sulphate fraction (known now as DSS) for research on ulcerous colitis. As a consultant, he worked extensively for Amersham Biosciences developing new dextran products and documentation. During this time he also helped major pharmaceutical, diagnostic and biotech. organisations in Sweden and abroad on diverse projects mostly involving dextran.
In 2009. the company moved to new premises in Uppsala Business Park and begun a period of expansion.
Tony is a Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry and has contributed extensively to scientific journals, reviews and encyclopedias on many aspects of carbohydrates but mostly dextran related topics. A selection of these publications is given below.
- 1. A.N.de Belder, E.J.Bourne and J.B.Pridham, ß-Glucopyranosides of Hydroxymethyl- and Hydroxyethyl-ferrocene, J.Chem.Soc., 1961, 879, 4464-4467.
- 2. A.N.de Belder, B.Lindberg and O.Theander, Partial methylation Studies on methyl ß-D-Glucopyranoside and some Derivatives, Acta Chem. Scand., 1962, 16, 2005-2009.
- 3. A.N.de Belder, P.J.Garegg, B.Lindberg et al., The Preparation of 2-tetrahydropyranyl ß-D-Glcopyranosides and methyl 4-(2-tetrahydropyranyl) –ß-D-glucopyanosides, Acta Chem. Scand., 1962, 16, 623-628.
- 4. A.N.de Belder, E.J.Bourne and H.Weigel, Studies on tert-butyl derivatives of D-Glucose, Carbohyd.Res.,1966, 3, 1-6.
- 5. A.N.de Belder, B.Lindberg and S.Svensson, Synthesis of Keto-dextrans, Acta Chem. Scand., 1968, 22, 949-952.
- 6. A.N.de Belder and B.Norrman, The Distribution of substituents in Partially Acetylated Dextran, Carbohyd. Chem., 1968, 8, 1-6.
- 7. A.N.de Belder and B.Norrman, The Substitution Patterns of O-(2-hydroxyethyl)starch and O-(2-hydroxyethyl)dextran, 1969, 10, 391-394.
- 8. K.A.Granath, R.Strömberg and A.N.de Belder, Studies on Hydroxyethyl Starch, Die Stärke, 1969, 21, 251-256.
- 9. A.W.Richter and A.N.de Belder, Antibodies against Hydroxyethylstarch produced in Rabbits by Immunisation with a Protein-Hydroxyethylstarch conjugate, Int.Archs Allergy Appl. Immun., 1976, 52, 307-314.
- 10. A.N.de Belder and K.Granath, Preparation and Properties of Fluorescein-labelled dextrans, Carbohydr. Chem., 1973, 30, 375-378.
- 11. A.N.de Belder and K.O.Wik, Preparation and Properties of Fluorescein-labelled hyaluronate, Carbohydr. Chem., 1975, 44, 251-257.
- 12. A.N.de Belder and E.Wirén, Convenient synthesis of 2-substituted derivatives of methyl alpha-D-glucoside. Carbohyd.Res., 1972, 24, 166-168.
- 13. L.Ahrgren and A.N.de Belder, The action of Fenton's reagent on Dextran, Die Stärke, 1975, 27, 121-123.
- 14. A.N.de Belder, Cyclic acetals of the aldoses and aldosides, in Advances Carbohydr.Chem.,1965, 20, 219-302.
- 15. A.N.de Belder, Dextran in ‘Industrial Gums’, Academic Press, N.Y. 1993, 399-425.
- 16. A.N.de Belder, Dextran in ‘Ullman’s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, Wiley, 2009.
Charlotte de Belder Tesséus
Company Executive Officer
Charlotte received her B.Sc in Physiotherapy in 1996 and worked for many years at the Department of Neurology, Akademiska sjukhuset, Uppsala University Hospital which is Sweden's oldest university hospital. From 2008 until 2014 she worked as a Lecturer in physiotherapy at the Department of Neuroscience, Uppsala University. Since 1990 she has been responsible for Administration and Business Management in TdB Consultancy and is now the Company Executive Officer and also coordinates Marketing activities.
Research Manager, Senior Research Scientist
Jens Frigell was born in Stockholm. He studied organic chemistry at Lunds Universitet (MSc, 2006) and thereafter continued on a Ph.D programme at Stockholms Universitet (PhD, 2010). His PhD thesis describes the syntheses of new carbasugars of galactofuranosides and non-glycosidically-linked disaccharides. Jens worked as a postdoctoral fellow in Spain (CIC biomaGUNE, San Sebastian, 2011-2012) where he studied gold nanoparticles in vivo (PET) and Switzerland (EPFL, Lausanne, 2012-2014) where he conducted syntheses of novel probes for in vivo PET and fluorescence imaging. Jens joined TdB Consultancy in November 2014 as a senior research scientist and is the current production manager. His research interests are carbohydrates, dextran derivatives, molecular imaging (optical and radiochemical) and synthesis of novel dyes and dye conjugates.
- 1. Frigell J, Cumpstey I. First Synthesis of 4a-Carba-ß-D-galactofuranose. Tetrahedron Lett., 2007, 48, 9073-9076.
- 2. Frigell J, Cumpstey I. Synthesis of Carbadisaccharide Mimics of Galactofuranosides. Tetrahedron Lett., 2009, 50, 5142-5144
- 3. Frigell J, Pearcey J.A, Lowary T, Cumpstey I. Carbasugar Analogues of Galactofuranose: Pseudodisaccharide Mimics of Fragments of Mycobacterial Arabinogalactan. Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2011, 7, 1367-1375.
- 4. Frigell J, Cumpstey I. Carbasugar analogues of galactofuranose: alpha-O-linked derivatives. Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 2010, 6, 1127-1131.
- 5. Cumpstey I, Frigell J, Pershagen E, Akhtar T, Moreno-Clavijo E, Robina I, Alonzi D.S, Butters T.D. N-linked neodisaccharides: Synthesis facilitated by the enhanced reactivity of allylic electrophiles, and glycosidase inhibitory activity. Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 2011, 7, 1-9
- 6. Frigell J, Eriksson L, Cumpstey I. Carbasugar analogues of galactofuranosides: ß-O-linked derivatives and towards ß-S-linked derivatives. Carb. Res., 2011, 346, 11, 1277-1290
- 7. Frigell J, Garcia I, Gomez-Vallejo V, Llop J, Penades, S. “68Ga-labeled Gold Glyconanoparticles for Exploring Blood-Brain Barrier Permeability: Preparation, Biodistribution Studies, and Improved Brain Uptake via Neuropeptide Conjugation. J. Am. Chem Soc. 2014, 136(1), 449-457.
- “Bioluminescence imaging of small biomolecules”. United States Patent WO 2014111906 – Issued Jan 21, 2013. Inventors: Aurelien Godinat, Ghyslain Budin, Riccardo Sinisi, Elena Dubikovskaya, Grigory Karateev, Jens Frigell, Aleksandra Konovalova
- Provisional US patent application “Controlled and orthogonal modifications of engineered monoclonal antibodies”. In the name of Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), 19001/US. Grigory Karateev, Jens Frigell, Elena Dubikovskaya, Ghyslain Budin, Anzhelika Vorobyeva, Riccardo Sinisi.
- Provisional US patent application “Novel optical methods for in vivo evaluation of biological processes”. In the name of Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), 19357/US. Inventors: Ghuslain Budin, Jens Frigell, Aurelien Godinat, Elena Dubikovskaya, Alma Morales.
Kristin has a Master's degree in Analytical Chemistry from Uppsala University in the late 90th. Since 1997 she has been working with contract analysis serving technical-, chemical- and pharmaceutical industry. She has experience in quality assurance, both ISO and GMP from her time as Quality Manager at Eurofins MikroKemi.In July 2015 she joined TdB Consultancy AB as Analytical Chemist and Quality Assurance Manager.
Shams received her Master's degree in Organic Chemistry 2013 from Stockholm University. During her studies, she taught chemistry to High School students and after graduation worked as a High School Teacher at Josefina skolan. In August 2013, she joined TdB Consultancy as a Research Scientist and a Quality Assurance Manager. In November 2014, she received a diploma in Internal Auditing within ISO 9001:2008.
- 1. Kärkäs, M. D., Åkermark, T., Johnston, E. V., Karim, S. R., Laine, T. M., Lee, B.-L., Åkermark, T., Privalov, T. and Åkermark, B. (2012), Water Oxidation by Single-Site Ruthenium Complexes: Using Ligands as Redox and Proton Transfer Mediators . Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 51: 11589–11593. doi: 10.1002/anie.201205018
BSc, MSc, PhD
Production Manager, Senior Research Scientist
Xiaojiao Sun received her BSc in Chemistry (2002) at Zhejiang Normal University, China and thereafter an MSc (2005) in organic chemistry at Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Science. Her Master’s thesis describes the synthesis of pyridyl-supported N-heterocyclic ligands and their application in homogeneous catalysis. She worked as research scientist at Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Science for 4 months and later at Nanyang Technological Univeristy, Singapore for 1 year. She received her Ph. D in organic chemistry at Uppsala University in 2013. Her PhD thesis describes high affinity synthetic binder molecules for proteins: design, synthesis and evaluation. Xiaojiao joined TdB Consultancy in September 2013 as senior scientist and currently as senior research scientist. Her research interests are organic/peptide synthesis & catalysis, bioassay development, synthesis and development of biopolymer conjugates including peptides, carbohydrates, small organic molecules, fluorophore and dyes.
- Qiu, W. J.; Sun,X. J.; Wu, C. Q.; Hjort, K.; Wu, Z. G. A Contact Angle Study of the Interaction between Embedded Amphiphilic Molecules and the PDMS Matrix in an Aqueous Environment Micromachines 2014, 5, 515-527.
- Ramapanicker, R. +; Sun, X. J.+; Viljanen, J.; Baltzer, L. Powerful binders for the D-dimer by conjugation of the GPRP peptide to polypeptides from a designed set: illustrating a general route to new binders for proteins. Bioconjug. Chem. 2013, 24, 17-25. (+ Equal contribution)
- Sun, X. J.; Yang, J.; Norberg, T.; Baltzer, L. A synthetic polypeptide conjugate from a 42-residue polypeptide and salicylhydroxamic acid binds human myeloperoxidase with high affinity. J. Pep. Sci. 2012, 18, 731-739.
- Sun, X. J.; Judeh, Z. M. A.; Ali, B. F.; Alshahateet, S. F. A facile synthesis of 3,5-dimethyl-4-hydroxybenzaldehyde via copper-mediated selective oxidation of 2,4,6-trimethylphenol. Catalysis Today 2008, 131, 423-426.
- Yu, Z. K.; Zeng, F. L.; Sun, X. J.; Deng, H. X.; Dong, J. H.; Chen, J. Z.; Wang, H. M.; Pei, C. X. Two pseudo-N3 ligands and the catalytic activity of their ruthenium complexes in transfer hydrogenation and hydrogenation of ketones. J. Organomet. Chem. 2007, 692, 2306-2313.
- Sun, X. J.; Yu, Z. K.; Wu, S. Z.; Xiao, W-J. Base effect and inhibition of catalytic activity in palladium-catalyzed N-heteroarylation of pyrazoles with 2,6-dibromopyridine. Organometallics 2005, 24, 2959-2963.
- Sun, X. J.; Yu, Z. K.; Deng, H. X.; Wu, S. Z.; Dong, J. H. Palladium-catalyzed coupling of pyrazoles with 2,6-dibromopyridine. Chinese Journal of catalysis (English edition) 2005, 26, 173-174.
Senior Research Scientist
Alexander Paptchikhine received his B.Sc. from Samara State University (1979, Russia) and his PhD from Institute of Molecular Biology, Russian Academy of Science Moscow, (1987, Russia, Ph. D. thesis entitled "Synthesis of Carbohydrate Modified Nucleosides"). Alexander has been working in Samara State University (research assistant, senior scientist 6 years), BMC (Uppsala, Sweden, postdoc, research assistant, 1991-1995), Pharmacia, Biovitrum (Uppsala; Sweden, Scientist II, 1995-2009), AstraZeneca (Stockholm; Sweden, Scientist, 2010-2012), Karobio (Stockholm; Sweden, Scientist, 2013-2014). During this long scientific career in R & D he acquired experience:
- in developing synthetic routes for novel carbohydrate and heterocycle- modified nucleosides as potential anti-cancer and anti-retro-viral agents as well as new methods for modifying carbohydrates;
- in medicinal and combinatorial chemistry at all stages of project development – hit optimization, hit-to-lead and lead optimization (route development, scaffold synthesis, scale up, synthesis optimization, design and preparation of focused libraries for SAR build-up etc);
- in chemical development in multiple projects. This included multi-step synthesis of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients and active metabolites in multi gram scales; evaluation of existing routes provided by medicinal chemists and designing new synthetic routes if necessary;
- in the chemistry of a wide range of classes of organic compounds (heterocycles, carbohydrates, guanidines, fluororganics, coupling chemistry etc).
Alexander joined TdB Consultancy AB in March 2015 as senior research scientist.
Synthesis of 3'-azido- and 3'-amino-3'-deoxyarabinonucleoside 5'-triphosphates and the investigation of their substrate properties in the systems with polynucleotide synthesizing enzymes. A.V. Papchikhin; P.P. Purygin; A.V. Azhajev; A.A. Krayevsky; T.V. Kutateladze; Z.G. Chidgavadze; R.Sh. Bibiblashvili; Bioorg. Chem., (Russia), 1985, 11, pp. 1367-1379
Inhibiting action of some analogues of nucleoside 5'-triphosphates on DNA synthesis catalyzed by polymerase of herprs simplex virus type 1. T.J. Kilesso; V.M. Shobukhov; A.V. Papchikhin; G.A. Galegov; Mol. Genetic, Microbiology and Virology, (Russia), 1987, N 10, pp. 41-44.
Inhibitory effect of 3'-amino- and 3'-azido-3'-deoxyribonucleoside 5'-triphosphates on RNA synthesis catalysed by influenza A viral RNA polymerase and cellular RNA polymerase. N.F. Pravdina; A.V. Papchikhin; P.P. Purygin; G.A. Galegov; Mol. Genetic, Microbiology and Virology, (Russia), 1989, N 1, pp. 29-33.
Selective inhibitors of DNA chain elongation catalysed by DNA polymerases. A.A. Krayevsky; M.K. Kukhanova; A.M. Atrazhev; N.B. Dyatkina; A.V. Papchikhin; Z.G. Chidgavadze; R.Sh. Bibiblashvili; Nucleosides and nucleotides 1988, 7(5&6), pp. 613-617
Conformationally restricted nucleoside 5'-triphosphates as termination substrates for DNA polymerases. Z.G. Chidgavadze; R.Sh. Bibiblashvili; T.A Rozovskaya; N.V. Tarusova; A.M. Atrazhev; N.B.Dyatkina; M.K Kukhanova; A.V. Papchikhin; A.A. Krayevsky; Mol. Biolog. (Russia), 1989, 23, pp. 1732-1742.
X-ray analysis of 2',3'-lyxoanhydrothymidine, a conformationally restricted inhibitor of retroviral reverse transcriptases. G.V. Gurskaya; A.V. Bochkarev; A.S. Zdanov; A.V. Papchikhin; P.P. Purygin; A.A. Krayevsky; FEBS Letters, 1990, 265, pp. 63-66.
Structural features of 2',3'-riboanhydroadenosine, a conformationaly restricted termination substrate of DNA polymerase. G.V. Gurskaya; A.V. Bochkarev; A.S. Zdanov; A.V. Papchikhin; P.P. Purygin; A.A. Krayevsky; Nucleosides and Nucleotides 1992, 11(1), pp. 1-9.
Synthesis of 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-nitro-2',3'-didehydrothymidine. Its use as a general intermediate for the preparation of various 2',3'-substituted nucleosides. N. Hossain; A. Papchikhin; N. Garg; I. Federov; J. Chattopadhyaya; Nucleosides and Nucleotides, 1993, 12(5), pp. 499-528.
[4+2] and [3+2] cycloaddition reactions of 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-nitro-2',3'-didehydrothymidine with ethyl vinyl ether. A. Papchikhin; P. Agback; J. Plavec; J. Chattopadhyaya; J. Org. Chem., 1993, 58, pp. 2874-2879.
Solution and solid state structure of 2',5'-bis-(O-trityl)-3'-oximinouridine. P. Agback; A. Papchikhin; S. Neidle; J. Chattopadhyaya; Nucleosides and Nucleotides, 1993, 12(6), pp. 605-614.
Synthesis of 2'- and 3'-spiro-isoxazolidine derivatives of thymidine and their conversion to 2',3'-dideoxy-2',3'-didehydro-3'-C-substituted nucleosides by radical promoted fragmentation. N. Hossain; A. Papchikhin; J. Plavec; J. Chattopadhyaya; Tetrahedron. 1993, 49, pp. 10133-10156.
New diastereospecific synthesis of 2',3'-dideoxy-2'- or 3'-C2-branched- or 2',3'-?-fused-isoxazolidine nucleosides directly from the seconucleoside. A. Papchikhin; J. Chattopadhyaya; Tetrahedron. 1994, 50, pp. 5279-5286.
How does the electronegativity of the substituent dictate the strength of the gauche effect? C. Thibaudeau; J. Plavec; N. Garg; A. Papchikhin; J. Chattopadhyaya; J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1994, 116, pp. 4038-4043.
2',3'-Dideoxy-3'-C,2'-N-[(3R,5R)-5-ethoxycarbonyl-2-methyl-1,2-isoxazolidine]ribothymidi-ne. B. M. Burkhart; A. Papchikhin; J. Chattopadhyaya; M. Sundaralingam. Acta Crystallogr., Sect. C: Cryst. Struct. Commun. 1995, C51(7), 1462-4.
The diastereospecific synthesis of new 2',3'-cis-?-fused carbocyclic nucleosides. A. Papchikhin; P. Agback; J. Plavec; J. Chattopadhyaya; Tetrahedron. 1995, 51, pp. 329-342.
2',3'-Dideoxy-3'-nitrothymidine and 2'-propoxy-3'-nitrothymidine. S. Neidle; J. Chattopadhyaya; N. Hossain; A. Papchikhin. Acta Crystallogr., Sect. C: Cryst. Struct. Commun. 1996, C52(12), 3173-3177.
Substituted azolids of ribonucleoside 5'-monophosphates as intermediate products for the synthesis of ribonucleoside 5'-polyphosphates. Pat. USSR N 1491872. 1989. P.P. Purygin; A.A. Krayevsky; Z.P. Belousova; A.V. Papchikhin.
Synthesis of 2'-deoxyxylothymidine, derivatives of D-xylofuranose, and derivatives of xylothymidine. Pat. USSR 2108339 C1. 1998. A.V. Papchikhin, S.A Rumyantseva